Updated June 09, 2010
This post contains the following sections:
1. Guidelines for posting documentation
2. How To Add to the GETTING STARTED PAGE
3. Adding Links to the Downloads page
4. Changing the order of the Documentation Sidebar and Documentation List
5. Adding Video To A Post
6. Adding to the Menu
GUIDELINES FOR POSTING DOCUMENTATION
- Title your documentation as descriptively as possible. “Max 5: Detailed” should be something like “Detailed Documentation of the Max 5 client”
- Don’t directly copy and paste text from wordprocessing programs. Some bad formating gets transfered over and interferes with the layout of wordpress. Clean the text with a plain text editor or save as plain text before copying over. To double check after posting, switch from Visual edit mode in the post editor to HTML mode and see if formatting remains.
- Images should be Inserted using the Add image UPLOAD feature of the post editor. Do not link to images from external URLS. When you add an image Title it descriptively and provide an alternate text description that describes what the image displays (this is for search engines). Add the images to the post using the Alignment option LEFT and the size as FULL size. If you want there to be a caption, add it to the CAPTION section. Set LINK RUL to “File URL”. Make sure to click INSERT INTO POST after entering all the information.
- Wrapping Text in an <h2> and </h2> tag will cause it to render in the stylized font from the S/S logo.
- You can wrap text in <em> and </em> to have them be highlighted in blue (See the ABOUT SENSE/STAGE page)
- Choose the most specific Category to the type of documentation you are providing. There’s no need to choose higher level categories as lower levels reference their parents.
- If you’d like a Post Thumbnail (like the fan above), Click Set Post Thumbnail in the POST THUMBNAIL section of the wordpress post window. Upload an image, give it a nice title and alternative description and click “Use As Post Thumbnail.” These will someday soon show up on the listing for each section. It’s helpful to get into this habit if you have a unique image as other posts, such as articles and projects, really shine with a thumbnail image attached.
HOW TO ADD TO THE GETTING STARTED PAGE
- First, Find the post ID of the post you want to add to the page. To do this, click the Posts drop down menu (from the Dashboard) and click Edit. Hover your mouse over the title of the post and in your browsers status (ie the link to that post) will be the URL with the end string post=12345. The number is the post ID.
- Next, click on Getting Started on the left column and scroll down to the section that says FLUTTER CUSTOM FIELD
- Click the (+) Duplicate button to add another “Documentation Post ID” field to the list and enter your POST ID there.
- Update the Getting Started post page, and the link will be added.
ADDING LINKS TO THE DOWNLOADS PAGE
- Click the Downloads on the left column
- Downloads consist of Category, Title, Link (optional), and instructions
- To add a new download category, click the (+) Duplicate Group button beneath the first “Download Category” section
- Give your new category a name and a unique reference number that is not the same as the other download categories
- To add a new Download file or instruction, click the (+) Duplicate Group button under the first “Download File” section
- Enter a Category number which references a download category above, and fill in the other details.
- Enter the URL of the file or instruction post– For Downloads that have instructions only, create a new post and link to that post as the download URL.
- The description can be left blank or filled with relevant information about the file
CHANGING THE ORDER OF THE DOCUMENTATION SIDEBAR
- The sidebar shows parent child heirarchies in alphabetically. If you wish to insert a category into a different spot do the following:
- Find the Category ID of the category you wish to insert by going to the Categories section in the Wordpress Dashboard (under the POSTS dropdown) and mousing over the Category name. The link status will display the Category ID
- Find the Category ID of the category BEFORE which you want to insert this category.
- open the file “sidebar-documentation.php” in the folder wordpress/wp-content/themes/sensestage
- At the top, add this category id to the $_POST['excludedCats'] variable. This should be a comma delimited list
- Find the section that is called ADDITIONS and copy and paste the insertCategory function call
- insert the new Category ID into the first spot, and the Category ID of the displaced category into the second spot. Leave the last slot as is
- EXAMPLE: insertCategory(25,8,$category->cat_ID);
CHANGING THE ORDER OF THE DOCUMENTATION LIST
- The steps are the same as for the Documentation Sidebar but the functions have the number 2 after them. Example: insertCategory2(….) etc.
ADDING VIDEO TO A POST
- For videos from youtube, vimeo, etc. paste the URL into any post in the HTML view. This will auto-embed the video and you don’t need to do anything else but format the post the way you want
- For mp4 and MOV videos
ADDING TO THE MENU